This list has been updated for Summer 2016 :)
Jake learned to read this year and just recently has started reading for the fun of it, as opposed to reading because he has to. This has made my heart so happy. I want to do everything I can to encourage the boys to read over the summer so I will be signing them up for all the reading programs I can. I am sharing these free summer reading programs for kids because I thought you all would be interested in signing your children up as well. Most of them are available nationally and each one costs nothing to sign up. Some even give prizes to children who read a certain amount of books. If you know of any others please leave a comment on this post and I’ll add them to the list.
1) Your local library- Check your library’s website to learn about their summer reading program and when the sign up time is. We do the library’s reading program every year.
2) Scholastic- The Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge™ is a free online reading program for children. There are no prizes for children however they are helping set a reading world record which is something fun they can say they helped do. Learn more here.
3) Barnes & Noble- Kids can earn a free book by reading 8 books and recording them in a reading journal. Learn more here.
4) Meatheads Restaurants (Illinois locations only)- Kids ages 13 and under can read 5 books to earn a free little meathead burger. Learn more here.
5) Pizza Hut- The Book It! reading program has been around for years. I remember participating in the reading program when I was a kid so it’s fun my kids can do it now. Details for 2015 will be live in June and details can be found here.
6) Chuck E Cheese- Children get 10 tokens for reading every day for two weeks in a row. Find the form here.
7) Chicago Botanic Garden- Sign up at the Lenhardt Library at the Chicago Botanic Gardens. Every time they read a book they get a stamp. Every 5 stamps they get a prize (up to 20 stamps). Learn more here.
8) Sylvan- Sylvan’s Book Adventure is a fun, free way to motivate your child to read! Kids in grades K-8 can search for books, read them, take a short quiz on what they’ve read, and earn prizes for their reading success. Learn more here.
9) Half Price Books- Earn HPB Bookworm Bucks for reading 300 minutes in June and July. There is a chance to win HPB gift cards as well. Learn more here.
10) TD Bank- Children, grades K-5, who read 10 books this summer get $10 deposited in their new or existing Young Saver account. Learn more here.
11) Showcase Cinemas- Children in NY (and other areas where there are Showcase Cinema locations) who read a book and then write a book report about it can get in free to see a movie on Bookworm Wednesdays. Learn more
here. (2016 updated link: https://www.showcasecinemas.com/programs/kids-and-families/bookwormwed)
12) Books A Million- Children read any 6 books from the list they are provided for a Theodore Boone pencil case and pencil. Learn more here.
Not near any of these locations? How about having your own summer reading program? Check out this 10 week do-it-yourself themed summer reading program!