Children spend years developing the skills they need to start reading, from learning to identify the letters of the alphabet and learning what sounds the letters make to memorizing sight words and being able to string letters together to make words. One thing that will help children on their journey to reading is memorizing the shapes of letters so they can learn to identify the alphabet. In this activity, from the book 100 FUN & EASY LEARNING GAMES FOR KIDS that I was sent for review, kids will create fun, hands-on letters using glue and string. Once ready, they make the perfect material to hang in alphabetical order for even more letter practice.
- Wax paper
- Sturdy rope
- 26 clothespins
1. Cut yarn into pieces of various lengths.
2. Lay out wax paper on a smooth surface for letters to dry on.
3. Have children dip yarn pieces into glue container and then shape wet yarn into letter formations on the wax paper.
4. Allow yarn to dry before playing the game
5. String a long and sturdy rope up in the room and attach clothespins onto it.
Directions to Play the Game
1. Players work together to place letters in alphabetic order by attaching them to the rope with the clothespins.
2. As they place the letters, encourage them to name the letters they are attaching to the rope.
Game Variations for Children that Know the Alphabet
- Use letters to create a child’s name on the rope.
- Use letters to create sight words.
- Create a timed challenge to see how fast they can put letters up in alphabetical order.
4 thoughts on “Fun Activity To Help Kids Learn The Alphabet”
Now this is a fun idea, we have tried a few over the years but this one is a new one. Pinning it so we can work on our “a-b-c’s” come September.
That is one of the more clever things I’ve seen. WOW! My little one would love this.
Awesome post, so thankyou for sharing. I have two nieces and I love learning new activities that I can do with them (double points when they get to learn literacy at the same time).
What a creative idea! This would be cute for a kid’s birthday party banner too!