Moving can be expensive. It doesn’t matter if you’re moving across town or from one side of the country to the other, the process always costs a lot more than most would like to spend. Hiring inexpensive movers is not the only way to save yourself money.
Unpakt, a new, instant pricing application to help consumers find reputable moving companies and book their moves online, shares 8 Easy Ways to Be Frugal During a Move:
- Compare Moving Companies: Cheap is not always better. Sometimes companies will attract you with a low price, but hidden in the print are a lot of other fees. When you are comparing companies and rates, make sure that you know what you are getting in each quote, so it is a fair comparison.
- Collect Free Boxes: You should never have to actually pay for a moving box, unless you specifically need a wardrobe one or an extra-large one for an awkward item. There is a long list of places that will be more than happy for you to come take boxes off their hands. Check at the grocery, office supply, liquor and book store as well as restaurants and bars.
- Don’t Pay for Packing Supplies: You can pick up old newspapers for free at just about any gas station or liquor store. Plus, you don’t need to buy bubble wrap or other costly supplies when you have towels, t-shirts, linens, sweaters, etc. You have a lot of things around the house you can use to pack valuables.
- Pack Thoughtfully: Extra boxes are often used simply because items are packed poorly. Think of nesting dolls when you pack. A lot of little items can be packed inside larger ones. Not only does this help keep items secure, it reduces the number of boxes you use, which means that there are fewer boxes to carry.
- Clean for Your Deposit: A lot of people do not take the time to clean their old apartment or rental house, so they don’t get their full deposit back. It will cost you a lot less to rent a quality carpet cleaner and do it yourself than it will if your landlord has to hire a professional to do it.
- Move During the Week: On average, most moving companies charge an average of 20 to 25 percent more on weekends. Most people are off work on the weekends so movers are often overbooked. If you move during the week, you will typically save yourself a little money.
- Have a Good Purge: How much stuff do you have that you don’t really need? Why bother packing this stuff? You can sell, donate or trash it. Seriously, a lot of movers charge by weight; do you really need to pay for these items to be moved, if you are not using them?
- Go Grocery Shopping Immediately: The sooner you can at least go buy a few essentials, the better off you will be. If you need to order pizza or go grab takeout for a few meals, it will get pretty expensive. Sure, get pizza the first day; it is part of the fun of moving. After all, whether you hire one of the expensive or cheap moving companies, there is always money for pizza! However, meals after this one should come from your own refrigerator, if you want to save yourself some money.