(Disclosure: This post is sponsored by H&R Block but all opinions are my own.)
We all know that a Billion dollars is a lot of money but just how much is it in terms that we can easily imagine? H&R Block’s “How Big is a Billion?” contest is a new educational program that asks teachers to turn the idea of a billion dollars into a math assignment for a chance to win a $3,000 grant. Teachers are invited to submit real-life examples that illustrate the concept of a billion dollars. For example:
The contest runs through March 14, 2014 and to participate, teachers must submit a brief explanation and image of the creative concepts. To access the application, “like” the H&R Block Dollars & Sense Facebook page.
Submissions should be:
- Square image
- Minimum size 650×650 pixels
- Include a description of math and research utilized to create the example of the size of $1 billion
There are three prize categories: Elementary School, Middle School, and High School and each level will be awarded a Grand Prize ($3,000 grant), 2nd place ($2,000 grant) and 3rd place ($1,000 grant). The first 50 entering educators will receive a $50 Gift Card just for entering!
H&R Block has teamed up with WeAreTeachers, an online resource for lesson plans, professional development resources, grants and contests for teachers, to select the finalists and help encourage participation. H&R Block will select the grand prize winners. Here are a few more details:
- Entries will be evaluated based on accuracy and creativity.
- The contest is open to teachers and homeschool educators.
- Each participant can submit up to eight entries.
Join us for a Twitter party!
- Alicia, Making Time for Mommy – @aliciamarie112 (that’s me!)
- Caroline, Smarty Pants Mama – @SmartyPantsMama
- Chelsea, Someday I’ll Learn – @somedayilllearn
- Elaina, A Time Out for Mommy – @atimeoutformommy
- Erin, Making Memories with Your Kids – @EMakingMemories
- Jennifer, My Boys and Their Toys – @Lovesmytwoboys
- Julie, Julieverse – @JulieMPron
- Maegen, Sounds Fun Mom – @SoundsFunMom
- Sara, Mom Endeavors – @momendeavors
- Vicky, Mess for Less – @MessForLess
1 thought on “How Big Is A Billion? Contest For Teachers”