Did you know that August has two pecan “holidays”? Yesterday was National Chocolate Pecan Pie Day and today is National Pecan Torte Day. I had to share this delicious pie recipe from Delightful Pastries, a family-owned and operated Chicago bakery.
Delightful Pastries’ Chocolate Pecan Bourbon Pie
By: Executive Pastry Chef & Owner, Dobra Bielinski
- 6 ounces butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces pecan halves
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 9-inch pie shell
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In an electric mixer, beat the butter with the sugar till smooth. Add the corn syrup and molasses, then the flour and mix well.
- Beat in the eggs one by one, scraping down after each egg; add the vanilla extract and salt. Fold the pecans and chocolate by hand, add the bourbon.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, till the top is dry and the filling is barely jiggling. Let cool. 8 servings.
If you live in the Chicago area, Delightful Pastries is celebrating the “holiday” at all three of its locations (Chicago French Market, N. Wells St., and Jefferson Park) by offering their delicious Chocolate Pecan Bourbon Pie ($5.25/mini pie; $25/8-inch pie) by executive pastry chef and owner Dobra Bielinski. Delightful Pastry also has the Chocolate Pecan Pie available without Bourbon.