I’m excited to be partnering with Meijer this summer to celebrate the summer games. Check out our fun idea and more ideas from other bloggers on the Meijer website!
Every four years, countries get to show off their best athletes in the Summer Games. The whole world watches as athletes in numerous sports compete in hundreds of events over a few weeks time. People enjoy supporting athletes from their country as they watch the games in person or on television. To make the time even more magical for my kids, I thought it would be fun to host our own ‘summer games’ in our backyard.
To start we took a look at all of the sports that athletes can compete in and picked a handful that we could easily recreate. We had everything we needed for soccer, golf and badminton and headed to Meijer for everything else. We found a great inflatable basketball hoop and pool diving sticks that would work for a relay race so we added basketball and track & field to our summer games list.
Once we had the sports chosen we needed to make two things for our summer games- the torch carried during the opening ceremony and medals for the winners. Both are simple crafts that can be made with items you probably have at home already. Here is what you will need to make each and the directions to make them.
- Cardboard tube (we used the tube from TP rolls)
- Tissue paper (red and orange)
- Aluminum foil
- Tear off a piece of aluminum foil that is slightly larger than your cardboard tube
- Roll the foil around your tube, completely covering it
- Tuck the foil over the edges on each side and into the cardboard tube
- Cut your tissue paper pieces into four equal squares
- Pick four pieces of tissue paper and stack (we used 2 orange pieces and 2 red pieces)
- Grab the pile from the middle by pinching it and pick up
- Twist the middle together
- Put tape on the twisted end and insert into the top part of your tube, taping it inside the tube
- Fluff the tissue paper so it looks like fire
- Lid from canister (we used lids from canisters of chips)
- Hole punch
- Aluminum foil
- Punch a hole in the lid
- Tear off a piece of aluminum foil that’s a little bigger than the chip canister lid
- Wrap the foil up around the lid and onto the back
- Poke a hole in the foil where it is in the lid
- Cut ribbon pieces and insert through the hole and tie together at the end
Once we had made our torch and medals we started our summer games. They walked around with the torches to signify the beginning of the games. Then it was time to play. My sports loving boys had so much fun. Their favorite activity was basketball since they got to use our new basketball hoop.
Once the sports were done it was time to pass out medals. Our summer games was the perfect family activity for a warm, summer day. We decided we are going to do this again soon and add a few sports -like gymnastics- to the competition list.
What sports would your family include in your own backyard summer games?