(Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Kohl’s but all thoughts are my own.)
I just returned from my very first cruise. I struggled with packing for the week long trip but now that I have experienced it, I want to share some tips for packing in regards to your wardrobe. Many of these tips will also work for other travel plans, too!
1) Pack jewelry pieces that can work with a variety of outfits you are bringing. I brought a number of pieces, including this gold bracelet and long silver necklace from the daisy fuentes® collection at Kohl’s.
They fancy up simple black dresses.
2) Pack swimsuit coverups that can go from the pool to the beach to walking around the islands of a Caribbean cruise. I brought a cute little black one made of cotton that looked like a dress.
3) Bring dressy clothes. Many ships have “gala” nights. Some women were wearing fancy evening dresses but many on my ship were wearing dresses a little less fancier and fit in just fine. I don’t own any fancy dresses so I went shopping at Kohl’s and chose a black and white striped dress from the daisy fuentes® collection. I paired it with some black sandals that had gold embellishments for one of the gala evenings.
4) Look for wrinkle resistant fabrics since most cruises won’t have irons. I also packed a bottle of wrinkle releaser for those fabrics that got a little wrinkled during transit.
5) If you want to work out while you are on board, make sure to pack some clothes and gym shoes you can exercise in.
6) Bring layers. Even Caribbean nights can get a bit chilly when the wind is blowing. I brought a black cardigan that I could wear over my dresses in the restaurant and that worked with a tank top and jeans as well.
7) Shoes take up a lot of space in the suitcase. I try to keep my outfits in the same color groups so that I can limit how many shoes I bring. Almost all of the clothes I brought went with black shoes so I was able to mainly wear the same two pairs of sandals: a dressy pair and flip-flops. I brought a few extra pairs of sandals as well to be able to change things up a bit.
8) Don’t forget the waterproof sunscreen if you are going to the Caribbean and make sure to apply it frequently. That sun is HOT so you can’t go by what the bottle says regarding how often to reapply it. (Trust me…we learned this the hard way…) Sunglasses and a wide-brimmed hat are great as well.
What packing tips do you have?