Jacob is just starting to read and I’m trying to do everything I can to encourage him in this journey. Ooka Island recently contacted me about working with them and using their adaptive reading program so I am going to try it out and write about it in a few weeks.
Ooka Island is a learn-to-read adventure for children ages 3-7. They are an educational company committed to using science-based reading methods and technology to increase literacy skills for children. The goal is to teach children to read fluently and well through reading instruction that is fun and compelling.
The key word there for me is “fun”. As a teacher of young children I believed that play was important and a key way children learned. As a mom I still believe that.
Ooka Island contains everything a child needs in one big learn-to-read adventure, including:
- 80 hours of research-based curriculum for preschool to 2nd grade
- An integrated, science-based approach to the five pillars of reading: Phonemic Awareness, Phonological Development, Fluency, Vocabulary and Reading Comprehension
- Over 500 sequenced lessons with 7,000 discrete learning objectives
- Guided progression through 24 levels in a variety of 3D, virtual world environments
- A built-in e-Reader designed specifically to teach reading with highlighting and narration
- 85 original Ooka Island e-Books, leveled and sequenced from preschool to 2nd grade
- A fun and engaging learning flow cycle that motivates and supports each child’s journey
- Comprehensive online progress reporting for parents and educators
- Access to the Ooka Bookstore featuring all 85 e-Books and guides in print
- Free motivational tools, workbooks and a musical soundtrack app in iTunes
- Curriculum alignment with Common Core State Standards for K-1