When I was growing up I used to love when my mom made lasagna. It was my favorite meal that she made and it’s really hard to eat lasagna any other way. Meat in lasagna? No way! ;)
I’ve been craving lasagna for a while now and I kept pushing it off because I’ve been too busy to cook anything that takes longer than 15 minutes to make. I remembered yesterday though, while making it, how easy it actually was to put together. Also, since it makes more than my family can eat at one time, I have a couple days of leftovers so in the end I’ve saved myself cooking time.
Today I want to share my mom’s homemade cheese lasagna recipe. It should be noted that my mom spent her last years of life sick and slowly losing her memory with every seizure she had and during those years rewrote a lot of her recipes. This one I believe was one of those rewritten ones because sliced provolone cheese was the fourth kind of cheese she used and it was omitted from the new recipe. I made it without provolone and it was delicious but you can add it in if you want the flavor of another cheese.
Mom’s Homemade Cheese Lasagna
Oven: 350 degrees
Bake Time: 2 hours and 30 minutes
- 4 Eggs
- 30 oz Ricotta Cheese (2 small tubs)
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 3 Cups Mozzarella Cheese (2 cups for mixture, 1 cup for topping)
- 2 tbl Basil
- 2 tbl Parsley
- 2 Jars of Spaghetti Sauce (I used Barilla® Sauce)
- 1 Box of Lasagna Noodles (I used Barilla® Lasagne noodles)
- Cook noodles according to directions on box, set aside
- In large bowl, mix 3 cheeses (just the first 2 cups of the mozzarella), eggs, basil, and parsley together
- Spray an 11×17 baking dish with non-stick spray
- Layer ingredients: sauce, then 4 noodles, then 1/3 of cheese mixture and continue to repeat. Note: the top should be noodles covered with sauce
- Bake covered in pre-heated over for 2 hours 15 minutes at 350
- Once that time is up uncover it and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese
- Return to oven uncovered and let back for another 15 to 30 minutes for the cheese on top to melt and brown a little
- Remove from oven and let stand for at least 15 minutes before serving
I used Barilla sauce and lasagna noodles for this recipe. You can find them at your local Safeway store. They are having a special: $1 off the purchase of ONE (1) box of Barilla® Lasagne and ONE (1) Barilla® Sauce.