- 1/2 pound whole wheat spaghetti, reserve ¼ cup of pasta cooking water
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1½ tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon finely minced ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 12 ounces cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and seeded and julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and julienned
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon chopped peanuts, unsalted (optional)
- 2 scallions, chopped (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add salt if using.
- Add the pasta and cook until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drain pasta and reserve ¼ cup cooking water. Briefly rinse pasta under warm running water. Set aside.
- In medium bowl whisk peanut butter, reserved pasta cooking water, vinegar, honey, soy sauce, sesame seed oil, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes until smooth and creamy. Pour over warm pasta.
- Toss the pasta with chicken, cucumber, red bell pepper.
- Sprinkle each serving with scallions and 1 tsp. chopped peanuts.
- Serve warm or cold.
Per serving: 523 calories, 15 g fat (3 g saturated, 0 g trans), 41 g protein, 3 g fiber, 12 g sugars, 500 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrates, 72 mg cholesterol
(Recipe and image courtesy of the National Pasta Association.)