National Childhood Injury Prevention Week {Energizer Giveaway}

This week is National Childhood Injury Prevention Week and I’m working with Energizer to share news about this important safety week. There are many ways that children can get injured and I want to talk about one type of injury that can be avoided if the right precautions are taken. We all know little kids shouldn’t have small pieces around them because they are choking hazards but did you know there is one common household item in particular that could actually burn your child if swallowed? That item is coin lithium batteries.

Image from

Read this startling information below taken from

In 2010 alone, more than 3,400 button battery swallowing cases were reported in the U.S., resulting in 19 serious injuries and in some cases, deaths. The number of cases resulting in serious injury or death has more than quadrupled in the past five years. When a coin lithium button battery gets stuck in a child’s throat, the saliva triggers an electrical current. This causes a chemical reaction that can severely burn the esophagus in as little as two hours. Symptoms of coin-sized button battery ingestion may be similar to other childhood illnesses, such as coughing, drooling, and discomfort. Once burning begins, damage can continue even after the battery is removed. 

Isn’t that scary?! These little batteries are dangerous and so easily accessible in many homes. The National Safety Council and Energizer have teamed up to share some important tips every parent should know to help prevent injuries from the ingestion of Coin Lithium batteries to help keep kids safe.

The 4 S’s of Coin Lithium Battery Safety

·         STORE devices that use coin lithium batteries out of reach of children

·         SECURE the battery compartments of devices

·         SELECT battery packaging that meets federal guidelines for child resistance, such as Energizer’s coin lithium battery packaging

·         SHARE this information with your friends and family

Energizer led the industry by being the first to voluntarily develop packaging for its 20 millimeter coin lithium batteries that meets the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) strict guidelines for child-resistant packaging. I had the chance to test the Energizer packaging against a competitor’s packaging and there really is a difference. The Energizer package I could not open with my hands. It required scissors. The competitor’s packaging I was able to open in one try and with two rips was able to get to the battery.


One reader will win an Energizer prize package that includes:

  Two (2) packages of Energizer Coin Lithium batteries

One (1) Energizer LED Nightlight (winner’s choice between Sleeping Beauty or Cars)

One (1) Energizer Weatheready 2-in-1 LED Light


{Do any or all of the following, leave a separate comment for each you do}

1) Tell me one way you keep your child/grandchild safe from injury

2) Share this giveaway on a social network

3) Follow @aliciamarie112 on Twitter

4) Follow @Energizer on Twitter

5) Comment on another one of my posts

Giveaway ends September 24, 2013 at 11:59pm Central time. Must be a US resident, 21 or over to enter.

(Disclosure: I received a gift pack in exchange for posting about National Childhood Injury Prevention week but all thoughts are my own.)

50 thoughts on “National Childhood Injury Prevention Week {Energizer Giveaway}”

  1. We put dangerous items up and out of reach of our son. We also tell him that certain things are only to be touched by mommy and daddy. And of course we watch him like a hawk!

  2. Pingback: makingtimeformommy
  3. When I know children are going to be at my home, I pick up and put dangerous things out of reach. I also pay attention when I can.

Comments are closed.