Ten great quotes from the book, Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose by Tony Hsieh (CEO of Zappos):
- “Together, we had built a business that combined profits, passion, and purpose. And we knew that it wasn’t just about building a business. It was about building a lifestyle…” (page 2)
- “There will never be another 1999. What are you going to do about it?” (page 53)
- “I had decided to stop chasing the money, and start chasing the passion.” (page 54)
- “So my advice is to stop trying to “network” in the traditional business sense, and instead just try to build up the number and depth of your friendships, where the friendship itself is the reward.” (page 82)
- “If your culture stays true to its values and/or mission statement, the words and images speak for themselves. Why? Because they’re real.” (page 141)
- “Make customer service a priority for the whole company, not just a department. A customer service attitude needs to come from the top.” (page 147)
- “With the internet connecting everyone together, companies are becoming more and more transparent whether they like it or not.” (page 151)
- “At the end of the day, just remember that if you get the culture right, most of the other stuff– including building a great brand– will fall into place on it’s own.” (page 154)
- “We must all learn not only to not fear change, but to embrace it enthusiastically and, perhaps even more important, encourage and drive it. We must always plan for and be prepared for constant change.” (page 163)
- “We must never lose our sense of urgency in making improvements. We must never settle for “good enough,” because good is the enemy of great…” (page 179)
These are just 10 great quotes that I found in this book which is over 240 pages long. I have to admit that I didn’t know how much I would get out of this book since I’m not a “business person” but I really enjoyed Hsieh’s conversational style of writing. I found myself starting to read and then before I knew it half an hour had gone by.
One copy of the book: Delivering Happiness by Tony Hsieh (softcover)
How to enter:
Tell me why you want to read this book.
Additional Entry (leave another comment):
This giveaway ends July 15, 2010 at 11:59pm.
(Disclosure: I was given two copies of this book by the Delivering Happiness team- one to review and one to giveaway.)
This post is linked up to Amanda’s Top Ten Tuesday meme.