Long winter days call for something delicious baking in the oven! And bonus points that these fresh fruit and nut filled apple muffins will make your home smell amazing until they come out nice and warm from the oven. The muffins are flavored further with honey and whole wheat flour for a healthy breakfast or afternoon snack. Moist yet crumbly, these muffins are a one bowl recipe for a brunch staple that is perfect with a pat of butter or some nutty cheese.
Total time: 45 minutes
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Baking time: 25 minutes
Ingredients to make 12 muffins:
- 1 1/3 c/160g all-purpose flour
- 2/3 c/75g whole wheat flour
- ½ c/100g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp/4g baking powder
- 1 tsp/6g baking soda
- ½ tsp/1g ground ginger
- ½ tsp/1g ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp/1g sea salt
- ¾ c/175ml half and half
- ½ c/120ml vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ c/60ml honey
- 1 tbs/15ml lemon juice
- 3 small/350g apples
- 1 c/110g chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line 12 cups in a ½ c capacity muffin pan with paper liners.
- Peel and core apples and chop into ½” cube or rectangular pieces. Make sure walnuts are coarsely chopped into ¼” pieces.
- Combine all dry ingredients (flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt) in a large bowl. Whisk to evenly distribute everything.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add eggs and oil to well. Whisk eggs into oil incorporating as little of flour as possible.
- Add half and half, lemon juice, and honey to oil and eggs. Whisk to mix, slowly incorporating in the flour.
- Mix only until everything is incorporated, some lumps may remain. Over mixing will result in tough muffins.
- Gently fold in apple and walnut pieces.
- Scoop batter into paper liners, filling nearly to top.
- Bake at 350° F for 25 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean and the muffins are lightly browned.
- Best served warm and the same day. If storing, keep in an airtight container in the fridge for no more than 2 days.
PIN THIS RECIPE